FreewareWhich version of the software is better.
- Pre-alpha (pa) - very beginning, lots of errors.
- Alpha (a) - The software is ready for internal testing. This software is available only for limiteg gruop of testers.
- Beta (b) - the software is ready for external testing. This software is available for evrybody.
- Release Candidate (rc) – the software is ready for release. It needs to finish Help file, documentation ...
- Release to manufacturing or Release to marketing (rtm) – The software is done.
- General availability (ga) – final releasee. The software is ready for selling.
- Final - No more any developement is expected.
- End of life (eol) – Work on product development and support is stopped.
Freeware categoriesFREEWARE Free-of-charge, but copyrighted software and you can not do with it what the author has not authorized, usually commercial distribution or use by commercial organizations is not permitted:
- Most often - the promotion of a new name on the market,
- sometimes experimental product,
- a simple version, advertises a full-featured product,
- a number of softwares are free only for some coutries,
- or for non-commercial use,
- there are also simply fans of "GNU/GPL" who believe that the software must be free, and written together,
- is a category of software written "for yourself", but without greed.
DONATEWARE The same as FREEWARE, is only offered to those wishing to pay.
SHAREWARE Try it if you like it, buy it; You can use the free for a limited time, usually 30 days.
TRIAL The test in practical way for free. The only difference is that it is not the time of free use that is limited, but a certain number of software starts.
DEMO Demo version - a software with limited functions, after payment and registration restrictions are removed.
ADWARE Free softwares with a banner, advertising, which made the software free for you.
OPEN SOURSE The software written with open source, the national product, does not have a specific author (such as Linux ...), it can get into it, who wants to and correct it for its own needs, and then distribute it. The source code must be attached to the software. Modified software should be distributed under the same conditions as the original product. The author of the source product even has the right to require that the source code of its software be distributed without changes, but complete with appropriate modifying patches.
PIRAT SOFTWARE One way or another stolen software, which harms everyone, from developers to users. Illegal duplication and distribution of software significantly affect the economy, billions of dollars a year settle in the pockets of the Mafia. This inhibits the development of new technology. And finally, this is unfair.
WAREZ Illegally distributed software.
POSTCARDWARE (CARDWARE) Free software, but the author - the collector of postcards asks users to register by sending him a postcard.
HOMEPAGEWARE Free software, but every time you launch it, your home page will become the author's page. This type of programs deservedly received no distribution.
CAREWARE The user must stop complaining about life for an hour, a day or a week and say some words of encouragement to someone.
COMMERCIALCC Full payment when buying a program, "a cat in a poke", because this type of sales is not popular.
PUBLIC DOMAIN SOFTWARE Software without copyright, distributed with the source code. The main idea was the development of the program in the future. Unlike the Open Sourse, it is easy to modify, assign and sell.
Blue Edition A version that does not require any serial numbers, or activation. The whole installation is automatic. That is, it launched and the program was installed the way it was assembled. You can not select functions or parts of programs to install or not.
quiet/silentinstallation Installation takes place in the background. The user does not see anything. But for some time you can not turn off the computer, but sometime you can not use other programs.
Version: VL Corporate version. You do not need to activate this program. Just install and use.
Numbering of software versionsFor example, Google Chrome 12.0.742.30. What is this number. Format A.B.C.D[r]:
- A – Version number.
Version number, this is like a new program, which must be purchased separately. The new version number is given only if the program has changed significantly.
- B – Minor version number.
If you bought the program, then you have the right to all updates of the product.
- C – The number of the assembly, the number of the logical operation for working on the functional version A.B.
- D – Revision number, the end-to-end number assigned automatically by the versioning software (SVN). The SVN revision number must be synchronized with the revision number in AssemblyInfo for each release build.
- [r] – Symbol, for example Alpha, Beta, as written on top.
If the program has more number after the point, then a lot of errors are revealed and it is more stable. If the number is zero, this is the first swallow, raw.
So Opera 8.52 is more stable then Opera 9.00.
Distribution file nameThe distribution name must uniquely identify the product and the full version number.
When you build the distribution as a set of uncompressed files, the root folder, in which subfolders and uncompressed distribution files are located, is named by the format«
When compressing into the archive of the directory with distribution files, the archive should be named similarly: «