Types of software implementation of chats:
- HTTP or web chats. This chat looks like an ordinary web page, where you can read the last few dozen phrases written by chat participants, or processed by a client inheriting the capabilities of the browser. The chat page is automatically updated regularly.
- Built-in chat capabilities in IM clients, "thick client".
- IRC, a specialized protocol for chat rooms.
- Specialized programs for voice and other types of chat.
- all2all group communication (for example, Yahoo! Chat);
- p2p personal communications (for example, ICQ, Skype, Yahoo! Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger) - personal communication;
- b2b business (for example, Groove Virtual Office) - work in groups;
- b2c consumer - supporting the company's customers on the corporate site (for example, LivePerson